Wednesday, 13 July 2016

Cartoon Captioning ~ A Sense of Belonging by Witi Ihimaera

Recently, I drew a series of illustrations for my mother's English secondary class in Rarotonga. She's teaching there (temporarily) and works for the ministry of Education there. She chose to teach a short story from award-winning Maori writer Witi Ihimaera. The short story comes from his short story collection: " A Sense of Belonging". It's about a Maori woman, Pari who works at a bank in New Zealand and feels out of place.

Thus, my mother requested I give her some illustrations related to the story's events and then her students order and caption them.

Here's the illustrations:

Mum blew them up, printed and told the students to stick and caption them according to the story.
This is a great activity to practice summary writing and new interpretations of story telling. It's a great visual aid for learns to create themselves as well - get them to draw the last / end scene!

You can also apply this idea to any story for any level. Have them order the pictures and if low level English speakers or ESL in general, provide some sentences that match the illustrations.


Here's what her students were getting up to with the work:



Happy Teaching! - if you need illustrations, don't hesitate to contact me ! Head to my Facebook page and leave me a message!


0 comments:

Post a Comment