Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Action Reading ESL Game

Hi all! For  my latest grade 6 class we were onto the 3rd part of lesson 8 (I'm going to watch a soccer game) and instead of the usual speak and read activity in the textbook (yawn) I decided to do my version of the famous "Clap Game" using PowerPoint.

Update, 2016:
I have made more than one Action Reading Game for different lessons, here's my Action reading for Grade 5 "Where's the Museum?"  -Download it for free!

This took about 10-15 minutes for my classes.


If you know  the Clap Game, my PPT is very similar, but I just changed the actions so that they could do it sitting down instead of standing - (then less complains later about being too tired) and I gave it a bit of a revamp with more fun, modern movements (thinking K-Pop)...

Anyway, it works like this.

I first have a few slides that show the symbols for each action they must do:

(When you download, it'll come with the gifs.)



And last, but not least!



Then I have the sentences from the Textbook- we read the first slide as a class, then the next slide has the actions. 


We read again but we must do the actions while reading this time. It's fun and gets them pumped up a bit.





And of course I do some action combos to make it a little nutty!

You can do these sitting or standing, up to you and the energy level of the class, really.



Lots of shake shake!




So! I hope you can use this for your class! It's very easy to edit the reading text, so you can adjust it for any lesson. Happy Teaching!!!
Download here, free. 

Enjoyed this post? How about a Spelling Game?

0 comments:

Post a Comment