Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Whose boat is this? Tic Tac Toe Speaking Game!

Today we played a game that I've used in the past. It's a great game for speaking and memory. You can see and download a PPT from my original post - however, it's a different topic/lesson to "whose is this?"

So, today we started part 2 of "Whose Cap Is This?" and I wanted to push them more for speaking and even writing as it's quite hard to get them to remember to add an " 's " to the names , to signify possession. So I thought some writing today would help lock it in their memory better.

My first activity, after doing some listening from the textbook, is my tic tac toe memory game.
This is where I ask the students to read the slides as seen below and then after they have to remember what object belongs to so and so...








Reading slides:

Download PPT HERE, Free.


After we read all the characters (5 in total, with 5 different objects) then, I show the "can you remember?" slide. I separate the class into 2 teams and ask one team rep. to remember the who owns what. For example, I student may choose 'Pororo' to remember:

(Note: Each character on the "Can you remember" slide is hyper-linked)


If the student can make the sentence correctly and remember who owns what - "It's Pororo's boat."
The you press the smiley face and it goes to the "make your mark" slide. This means that on the whiteboard the teacher should draw a 3 by 3 grid and start a game of tic tac toe between the teams. For every correct answer the team rep can mark an X or O on the grid.



If you run out of slides and characters, make the game harder by asking the students to make a complete question and answer dialogue - I wrote this on the board:

"Whose __________ is this?
It's __________'s ___________."

In one class there was a winner. the other two had none.  But it's all fun and games. The students were very competitive and excited to make their mark each time. Download PPT game here, free.


Download comic here.

After that, we did a quick comic book worksheet which turned out really great! The kids were eager to finish and it was nice to get them writing. I told them to remember the " 's " after a name and to make sure to put their " ?" and " . " for appropriate sentences. It was a good moment to emphasize their importance.

OF COURSE, as I always recommend, I demonstrated the project by writing my own on the board with the class. I also told them that they cannot copy my idea. We also had a little time to share and read aloud. Everyone had to finish or they couldn't go to lunch - mean maybe, but motivational!

My comic projected on the whiteboard:


(synopsis: It's Batman's hamburger and my bike, not Pororo's ) ;)

Here's some fab student work:
Download and print for free, now!





Haha, ^^  "Whose smell is this?" - cracked me up! :)





Happy teaching!

0 comments:

Post a Comment