Monday, 24 November 2014

Fun, Easy, ESL Speaking Games! "Pass the Dice" - Any topic, any level.



This is a super simple and easy speaking game that you can adapt to any lesson.
All you need is a dice - a big one and then some little ones for game adaptation.

So, it's easy, I got the class into a circle and played Elvis's "Hound Dog" then got them to pass the dice around. When the music stopped (when I stopped it) the student holding the dice would have to roll the dice and whatever number they got would correspond to a numbered sentence on the board.


On the board I wrote, with help of student suggestions:


  1. I want to ride a bike.
  2. I want to eat chicken.
  3. I want to play soccer.
  4. I want to go to the PC room.
  5. I want to see a movie.
  6. I want to make a kite.
So, if the student rolls a 3 the class would ask "What do you want to do?" and he/she would reply " I want to play soccer."




EASY , right?

After playing a few rounds I then rubbed off some of the words on the board to have them think of new ideas - or remember what was up there, that's fine too.

Board with changes:

  1. I ______ ride a bike.
  2. I want to eat ________.
  3. I want to play ________.
  4. I want to go to the _________.
  5. I want ______ a movie.
  6. I want to make a ______.
So, if the student rolls a 3 this time , they could say "I want to play badminton" or 'I want to play Minecraft!"  and so on...

Now, to make it more interesting. After playing as a class I got them to sit in their groups and play the same game, but this time with small die and less players. I controlled the music once again and when I pushed stop my co-teacher and I would go around checking the answers.



Okay, another game I played is that classic memory game where you try to remember what the people said before you, add your own sentence/item and then the next person tries to remember also...

let me simplify, I asked for 5 volunteer students to come up and line up in the front.
I then asked the first student "what do you want to do?" and they came up with an "I want..." sentence. Then I went to the next student and told them to repeat and then make a new sentence. I demonstrated and the class nodded and quickly understood the game. This was a great activity for listening and the remaining class members were all interested to see who would remember or get out. 

I played about 3 rounds with 5 new students each time and it went really well.

Example:


Student 1: "I want to eat pizza"
Student 2:"I want to eat pizza and I want to make cookies."
Student 3: "I want to eat pizza, I want to make cookies and I want to play baseball."
Student 4:  "I want to eat pizza, I want to make cookies, I want to play baseball and I want to..."
...


You could also get them to do it within their groups if you have time.


To close the lesson as one of the classes went super quick, I got them to take out their English notebooks and I told them to listen to the 6 sentences I call out and try to remember them and write them down with correct spelling, and in the correct order. I rewarded those who got it correct by letting them leave early. 

That's all folks,
Happy Teaching! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment