Monday, 17 November 2014

Fun Comparative Adjectives Lesson - A Creative PPT that Keeps them learning and laughing!




My class... laughing away! ( And on a MONDAY!)

This lesson was a hit with my sixth grade classes. We are currently studying comparative adjectives in our lesson titled "I'm faster than you". Now, I know these kinds of lessons can be every language teacher's nightmare because of the danger of bullying brought about by comparative adjective = comparing one another.

 I already shuddered when one of the textbook's extra resources featured a drawing of a chubby kid next to a skinny kid and had the sentence "____ is heavier than _____" - NOPE! I would never ever want my English classroom to be a place that kids fear because their peers would start comparing them about weight or any other sensitive topic like height or speed...etc (Especially at elementary level).

So, I wanted to avoid the possibility of bullying but still have students comparing each other. And also, in a fun way - so I got out my PPT skills and started making some funny slides that would let them form sentences about their peers and have a laugh.


"Jin is stronger than Minsu" 

I got my slides in order and then stuck the kid's faces onto the bodies of my PowerPoint characters. I also prepared a word doc with tables that would help them form the sentences. This was our second lesson of this topic, so it wasn't supposed to be too difficult, more an introduction to sentence construction. When I showed a slide, they would have to make the sentence in the table given and then when we went through all the slides I asked them to make their own "nice sentence" and we had volunteer students read their sentences aloud.


Here is a preview of my PPT slides:

Stick the heads in!



You can download my PPT here, but you'll have to put your own photos in. If you can't get photos, put in cartoon characters or famous people they know.

Now, here is the table that I ask them to fill in at the same time, this helps them construct those comparing sentences!

I put the first two sentences in with blanks to help them get in to it... Do Jung is a name and so is Son Ho BTW.
You can download it here, but probably easier just to make a table in word yourself.

Here is an example of one of the filled out tables:


They had a lot of fun!










Happy Teaching!


3 comments:

  1. This is brilliant and looks like a lot of fun thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I already shuddered when one of the textbook's extra resources featured a drawing of a chubby kid next to a skinny kid and had the sentence "____ is heavier than _____" - NOPE! I would never ever want my English classroom to be a place that kids fear because their peers would start comparing them about weight or any other sensitive topic like height or speed...etc"

    I love that you are such a mindful teacher! Thank you for sharing your lesson - I will try it this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad I could help you guys out. I hate bullies and never understand when teachers can blindly enter into a lesson where this could be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete