Friday, 21 November 2014

ESL Games - Sentence and Dialogue Structure : Speaking, Reading and Writing.


 
We are learning the word "want" and revising activities and verbs in my current grade 5 unit "What do you want to do?" Most of the vocabulary is already known but the word want and sentence structure is a little shaky. So I thought a few sentence structure games would be an appropriate part 2 of the unit. 

Also, I noticed that in the Korean English exams they usually have a question that requires students to order a sentence or dialogue, so this is some good exam prep. 



 These are simple to prepare but a bit of time required. I simply wrote out a bunch of sentences answering the question "What do you want to do?" For example: Download Here.


After typing these up I printed and cut the question and answers into individual words and then pinned a question & answer pair together. So I had about 10 bundles in total. In class I got the kids into groups and gave them a bundle each and said "when I say go, you open it up and make the two sentences, when you finish, hands on heads!" Once I said go they quickly started ordering the words into the correct sentences.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Then after that we did another round , new bundles. I gave 10 points to the group who could order their sentences 1st, 5 points to 2nd and 1 point to third. Next we did the same activity but this time, instead of words they were given whole sentences that made up a dialogue/conversation. Again, themed on the "What do you want to do?" lesson.

Here's an example of one of the dialogues: Download here


                     So we played the same style game, giving points to the groups who could do it the fastest, correctly. After each round I got the groups to read their sentences. We went around the room, making sure each group read aloud.



Lastly, I wrote another jumbled dialogue on the board and got them to write the dialogue in the correct order in their notebooks. Then when they finished I would check if they got it correct. I rewarded first, second and third with a candy. 

Here's a student checking her work after being given the answer key.

This lesson was very simple and concentrated on sentence structure and comprehension. In my next lesson I do a lot more on speaking. I found that the repetitiveness of this lesson helped them in the next lesson to say correctly "I want to do ...." as they often forget "to" or "do" . 

This can be applied to any unit, it's easy and the kids enjoy the competition part. I will definitely do this again! 

Happy Teaching! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment