Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Teaching 2nd Grade! On Top Of Spaghetti - Making Paper Spaghetti and Meatballs!


 Recently I was asked to cover a 2nd Grade class for 2 periods as our school had some important visitors and my regular classes were cancelled. So, I was given complete freedom and what did I want to do - a lesson on Spaghetti and Meatballs of course! (Who wouldn't?)

Now, if you don't already know, you SHOULD know the amazing song "On Top Of Spaghetti" . There are a plethora of YouTube videos with the song and animations , I picked this one to entertain my little ones: 


The kids found the giant meatball really funny!

(By the way: before the Meatball madness we did the alphabet song and I had them "find the alphabet" with an easy worksheet - download here.) 

You can see the alphabet worksheet on the far right, below.

After we watched the song we looked at my little PowerPoint I made, going over the funny vocabulary of "meatball" , "spaghetti" , "cheese", "door" , "table" , "sneeze". The students actually knew everything but sneeze, and enjoyed letting me know it! Here's the PPT download link!

Just a few slides...makes me hungry!


 After the brief PowerPoint we then read this amazing and free online reading version of "On Top Of Spaghetti" - check it out here! Its from the website called Literactive which is a fantastic free resources for us teachers. They have a selection of books to read, it's great. 
I pushed the "read" button and listened to the lady read sentence by sentence, then I repeated and the students after. It wasn't important for them to know every word as long as they tried. 

As you can see there are "game" options. We did Game A , where they had to put the pictures in order. The other games are a little more difficult for second grade but you could do them with older students! 


 The reading is also animated which is great as they can understand the story more and more. 

The reading was fun! After, we had an even better time because we made PAPER MEATBALLS AND SPAGHETTI! I got the great worksheet off the excellent website called Education . com. I was able to get it free. I also joined the site as they have tons of free printables and lesson ideas!

(Please, if you cannot get the worksheet yourself contact me and I'll help you get them/ give my copy. But due to copyright I can't upload them directly, this goes for any resource on my site which I state as 'free' - I'm happy to help!)

You'll notice I also have a Pizza worksheet - this was in case they worked too fast, which they didn't.

NOTE: my PowerPoint also includes Pizza vocabulary and the (on Youtube) song "I am a pizza" if you'd like to do both lessons or just the pizza lesson alone.



 So a gave out the sheet and told them to colour the meatballs, spaghetti and sauce. I also did mine along with them :) 




It's a simple colour, cut and stick. I thought about doing it one by one but the kids were so peaceful doing it alone. hehe.

Here are my lovelies doing their own!











 After making our awesome dishes, we listened to a different Youtube version of the song:



Then we played, of course - the famous Hammer game ! (I've used it in a few lessons now, it's a full proof  game for any elementary student!).

I just had a simple slide and called out the vocabulary while they attempted to hit it with a plastic over-sized hammer...simple. I also added some of the alphabet to call out also. 




Happy Teaching!



Show me your meatballs!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ardyn! Great lesson!^^I'd love to use it for winter camp. Do you mind please emailing me the spaghetti worksheet? lauren16388@gmail.com

    Thank you so much!
    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'd love to use the spaghetti worksheet. Can you please email me a copy? jcleo718@gmail.com Thank you so much for all your help!
    - Jessica

    ReplyDelete