Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Peanut Butter and Banana Popsicles - ESL Cooking Class

As a celebration of warm weather and definitely a not-so-secret way of trying to encourage student attendance to After School English Class - we have gone full blown into our esl cooking lessons.

Our first venture was the delicious Egg Salad Sandwich lesson, which was an huge hit. (See lesson here: Egg Salad Sandwiches! ) So to follow that I chose another food that could be simple and fun to make - popsicles!

I looked online and found a wonderful recipe for Peanut Butter and Banana Popsicles. Now, why this and not something like lemonade or juice flavoured? Well, I had to think of the cooking vocabulary! You see, for our Egg Salad Sandwich lesson we used all kinds of vocabulary like : Slice, Mix, Mixture, Pour, Add, Layer, Spread, Cut, Boil and Taste...

So I needed my Popsicle recipe to have at least 4 words that we had learnt or 4 new ones. If I went with a simple juice popsicle recipe then it would just be 'pour' and 'freeze'. So the Peanut Butter and Banana Popsicles allowed for 'blend', 'pour', 'freeze' and 'add'. :)

That's my biggest advice to all teachers cooking for esl - make sure the recipe you're doing is easy but not so easy that you hardly have any vocab to work with!

The kids and I had an absolute blast, the next recipe on our list is a  Rocky Road Bite recipe ... I'll let you see how that turns out!

So here are my girls making their Peanut Butter and Banana Popsicles!

First - Making the mixture!
  • Bananas, Peanut Butter, Water, Banana Milk, Brown Sugar

Next, we blended and blended!

And after, we poured the mixture into the molds...


We put our Popsciles into the fridge, to freeze over night and of course, cleaned up!


 And last but certainly not least, we tasted our creations!


"Very delicious!"

Here are our written out recipes so you can follow along maybe? I included an Egg Sandwich recipe for any that wanted to see how that lesson turned out (See blog post: Egg Salad Sandwiches! )




We went over our recipe vocab after eating and writing the recipe out. It is always important to go over the cooking vocab every lesson so eventually they can write a recipe alone... this is the goal by my fourth cooking lesson!

Good luck cooks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment