Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Do You Want Some More Pizza? Cake? Sandwiches? Apple Pie? - The 'What do you like?' Lesson




Most of us working from the Korean Government textbook always have some sort of food related lesson. In my particular textbook the key expressions are "What do you like?" , "I like _____." , "Do you want some more?" , "Yes, please" and "No thanks, I'm full." Of course, food vocabulary is also in included however, most of the food names they already know from grade 3 and 4 English.

So for a great way to get all those key phrases out I made a powerpoint that sort of acts as an investigative game. It works simply, in that, the students read the powerpoint dialogue and then fill in the table I give them along with it. Sounds pretty basic, even boring but I assure you it's not and it was quite the hit with my grade 5 classes!

So to better explain I've got some example slides to fully show you how this works.

Firstly, here is the worksheet that every student was given before the powerpoint presentation started:

"Please stick your worksheet into your English notebook!"


In the table the kids are asked "What do they like?" and "Do they want some more?". The students have to fill in the table during the powerpoint presentation. This exercises their listening, reading and comprehension. As you can see the last two rows of the table are left blank. I told my students that for homework they must ask two friends or family members what food they like, and if they would 'want some more' . When I checked homework there were many students that chose their mother or father and some interesting food names (and spellings!) so a great way for a little extra comprehension.

Now these are some of the powerpoint slides:     
Download link: What Do You Like PowerPoint

The students must read aloud every slide


Always give a picture to improve understanding, especially when you're first introducing the topic.


So now the students would have read this aloud as well as filled in some of the table.



So after this slide they can fill in the "Do they want some more?" box. I told my students that they have to write 'No, she is full.' instead of just 'No'.

During the lesson I actually drew my own table on the white board and followed along with the students. This is especially for the lower level students, but also it promotes self checking - as I made sure the students had finished filling their table in before I filled in mine. It's also a great way to demonstrate how the lesson works from the very beginning. I had no confusion in this lesson, it's straight forward and the kids pay attention throughout because they want to fill in their tables and not be left behind. Great for big classes that are sometimes hard to control.

Here are some of the other slides so you can see what it all looked like...









 Happy teaching!



0 comments:

Post a Comment